Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pain & Comics

This year has been a wonderful year. I feel that in the past nine months or so have been so beneficial allowing me to grow. I have gotten to experience many things and met amazing people. 2009 didn't start out very well. I was in a relationship I didn't want to be in. I closed myself off. I didn't experience much. During that time there was a lot of emotional pain. But that changed and I was able to breath freely and enjoy more.

I have had a few injuries and other things that have plagued me. Let's see, I had chronic migraines for over six weeks I think. I severely twisted my ankle, experienced chronic back pain. I jammed my thumb black and blue. I think I may have thrown my shoulder out. I will have to see a doctor about that soon. I had a cavity filled.

I know that none of these things were life threatening and am thankful for that. I have always been one who can take things in stride and not focus on them for too long or let them distract me. But I do wonder if I hadn't had such an amazing year would I have been able to deal with them with the nonchalance that I have been?

Pain means change. You need to adjust something to make it go away. You might have to start doing things differently, or you might have to stop doing things that maybe you love. So far what I have had to sacrifice has been minimum. It just has made me stop and think about what I can achieve if what I am doing is what I want to be doing. I alone have the power to make myself happy. Most people realize this at some point in their life but they also forget it as well. The trick is to remember to say it to yourself every once in awhile.
==================================================================

Last night I went to a birthday party. It was fun, the people were friendly the drinks were poured and the apartment had a great view of the city. I enjoyed myself and stayed there a lot longer than I thought I would. So even though I wasn't home to write rest assured that I was having a good time. I didn't make it home until around five in the morning. I don't think I made it to bed until six. I woke up at two today and bought some comics.

Shopping for comics is an interesting experience. I felt under a lot of pressure. It's an interesting dynamic. I don't want to seem like I don't know what I'm doing. Some people who buy comics are very intense about the whole thing. They are the kings of alternate universes. I loved comics when I was a kid. My mother even banned me from having them at some point. I'm not sure if it was because of the violent and sexual content or because they were a distraction to me. But aha, now I'm a grown man who can't have his comics taken away. On another note I'm not sure If I should be bragging about this.

This is a call to all of you who think they might be too old for comics. If you have ever loved them then go in and by an issue of what your favorite comic. They are still cheap and you will be amazed by the progression of the art, the depth of the story and how much you remember. It's like a charge to the past. You'll be glad you did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment